Sunday, August 14, 2011

Spring Cleaning

This bottle of glass cleaner was brand new just 2 weeks ago.  It has only been used on windows, primarily their panes (very little on the tracks or the surrounding molding.  It's near emptiness is certainly a testament to how many windows our house sports, but more importantly, how insanely gross they were.  What I don't get is how the paper towels were so black, and yet I could still see through the windows (pre-cleaning)?  Sort of reminds me of when Bub nuked a microwave popcorn with it's foil pour-over butter packet--the smoke that filled the downstairs was later evident in the black paper towels used to clean the windows.  Wonder what they burned in here?...  :0



 If this washer/dryer basin doesn't gross you out, you should...come help clean my house!  On the bright side, at least I have a nice basin for them to leak into.  (Unfortunately, it leaks right into the garage.  I guess that's better than leaking onto the linoleum...)  It's actually sparkling clean now (thanks to our Relief Society!!), and housing my lovely new W/D.  



Just a corner of one of the rooms post-move of the previous owner.  We've spent hours and hours vacuuming (w/the central vac!!!!), mopping, and steaming these wood floors to restore them to their original glory.  Now that most of the baseboards are done, we really just need to repaint.  Oh, and populate the house with furniture.  That is hopefully on a moving truck on it's way out now.  Finally.  Friends from Maryland, run away from Allegheny Transport.  (They service for Allied in central MD.)  They seriously messed with us.  



 Before Derek tackled with major cleaning solvents...

After.  Note that most of the bulb cover is actually clean, not frosted as we previously believed.  (Sorry, should've taken the pic w/o the lights on.)  Kinda like the two times in a week that we had the basement carpet cleaned--it's a different color each time!!




 These very old ClosetMaid wire shelves were in all of the closets.  The plastics had degraded to the point that they left a sticky residue on your hands and were grossly discolored.  (To cla  Derek took out the last of them today and we are dumping them tomorrow.  I'm learning how to put closet rods in.  Can't wait till my drill & drywall screws get here!



Our beautiful new carpet that we had put in on the stairs going to the top floor and the top floor bedrooms/hallway.  Don't judge me when I tell you that we covered up solid hardwood floors w/this carpet.  Ripping out all the baseboards upstairs & putting down the carpet has made an enormous difference in the cat-pee smell upstairs.  Oh, and the painting party w/my family where we all got high off of Kilz oil-based primer.  Have I ever mentioned how much I love my family?




 We had a large piece of the same carpet bound and put some padding under for the family room.  I can envision winter nights on the carpet enjoying the lovely gas fireplace.  (If I can figure out how to turn it on.)  Ooh, ooh, did I mention that there is a gasline hook-up on the back deck for a grill??  Just gotta get a grill!



 
A cameo of our new bed.  It's been our salvation.  After 7 weeks sleeping on the floor, our backs have been happy to relax on a real mattress.  (Must be getting old.)


 
Finally, the part you've been waiting for: the saloon doors on the master bath.  Sorry, Amelia, no semi-provocative pics w/the doors yet.  In fact, I'm sick to death of them swinging in my face and am almost ready to take them down.  Anyone want them???

4 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Guess I need to come over and do some awesome pics with your saloon doors before you kill them. Too bad I'm not more pregnant than I am, then we could do some of those nasty semi-nudes with my belly. ;)

amydear said...

You have been BUSY. That rock wall in your family room is awesome. I hope my grandma's couches get retired and you get some new furniture for your newly cleaned home!

Vicky said...

Looks great! Seven weeks on the floor? Yuck. Perhaps you should have sprung for an air mattress. They're not as nice as a real bed, but they're better than the floor.

Any worries about the cat pee smell making it's way up through the carpet?

JandS Morgan said...

Glad to see pics. Hope you have your furniture soon to fill the place.