I hate this time of year. Without fail, I get into my midwinter funk. In Michigan, this was when I had to mentally face the fact that there were at least 3 more months of winter, w/a few hints of spring. Here, I have no excuse. Oh, the weather gets worse off and on, and sometimes it makes running hard or impossible, but still, we've made it fun.Last week, for instance, we hit the Northwest Branch of the Anacostia River (the NWB trail is the park area that abuts our house). It had been miserably cold (though not like MI w/their -20F), and we thought we'd see how solid the river was.
To our joy, there were people playing hockey a few feet up and down on both sides of the river. We tested it out (adults first) and realized it was at least a half foot thick or more. SO COOL!
We walked around and jumped a bit, and tried to throw stones at the thinner spots. No dice, though I did make a big crack in the ice around a partially submerged branch.
Sadly, Mini-Me and Shrimp were still feeling sick and didn't "risk" the ice (Shrimp was afraid of sinking), but had some fun onshore. (A day later, Dh coaxed Shrimp out too, and she loved it of course.)
This week brought snow (and there was much rejoicing) which turned to ice-masquarading-as-snow after the freezing rain the next day. Still, we got some fun sledding in and Bub discovered the joy of snowboarding.
I swear that kid is Athena in the flesh. She has more grace, balance, and athletic prowess that most of the world put together. (Obviously, she didn't get that from this tubbalard... :) The parent she did inherit those genes from also took a turn on the snowboard and succeeded.
Of course, I ended up lugging Mini-Me around most of the time (might as well amputate her legs and give them to some kid who needs them), though she did have some fun cleaning the snow off the play equipment.We discovered the joy of ice-covered slides.
The "twins" took a saucer down, together. One Domba/Shrimp sandwich, coming up!
I even got Mini-Me down once and she smiled at the bottom!
For goodness sake, I even had a bday this month. Oh, wait, that's not supposed to make me feel better since I turned 29 for the 5th time... But the snickerdoodles were DELISH!
I've even completed 8 of the 10 block sets, with only stenciling and sealing of the last two sets to go.
Seriously, folks, what is my problem? Long ago, my shrink diagnosed SAD, but since I run 5-6 times per week, usually for at least 25 minutes each workout, I think I'm getting quite a lot of that photogenic vitamin D. Any tips for this pathetic bit of human who just wants to lose herself in a good book EVERY night and makes procrastinating an art form? I need motivation! And a positive attitude. And a nice vacation might help...
Thursday, January 29, 2009
Midwinter Blahs
Posted by Maren Hansen at 10:36 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Sorry, I don't have any words of wisdom, but I loved your amputation comment about mini-me. Hilarious.
I guess the only thing that comes to mind with your wanting to hide... you have 4 children. Maybe a lot of it is just being exhausted and wanting some very alone time. You actually look like you are doing lots of things, meeting your children's needs, and getting out and exercizing regularly. So make sure that you aren't adding unneccesary expectations on your shoulders. As a wise friend just counseled me a while ago when I was getting so frustrated at the constancy of housework, "you're raising a family, not a house." It helped me reorient myself, let some things slide, and know it's okay.
I apologize if all this is "yeah, yeah, yeah...no kidding" advice and does nothing for you. (: But I think you are GREAT!
Move to North Carolina! So far the average winter temp here has been upper 50s to low 60s, and the sun is almost always shining. It's the grey skies in the winter that get me down.
A few years ago, I got the brilliant idea that I should take up a winter sport to get me through the winter blahs, but then I remembered that I hate everything cold and wet. So that didn't work out so well...
Dang, that is cold. I wonder if any of our rivers froze over. Were people ice skating on the river?
It is funny, but I get depressed when the sun comes out here. Maybe it is just a physiologic thing to have less energy in the winter. Maybe the people that do have energy are the abnormal ones.
Your river pictures make me nervous! Don't do that again. : ) Happy birthday, too. I'm happy for your project getting done too. SAD is definitely real. I loved Emily W.'s happy light. I thought I might need one in Oregon, but it's been a mild winter. Plenty o' sunshine. Good luck!
Post a Comment