Yes, the fish on the right is indeed gestating in mine oven. I'm telling early because, ladies who run while preggo, I need some advice!! Tell me how to keep going and what to expect! I'm committed to run through my first two trimesters, then it will get too hot/humid and I will likely just lay in the basement and bloat like a dead whale. I ran 4 1/2 miles today and felt like I was dragging a 20lb sled behind me... And yes, this does contribute to the midwinter blahs. Sorry you got the rear end of my pregger hormones in the last post...
PS Yes, said fish is due on the oldest's bday, much to her great delight!
Saturday, January 31, 2009
Let the truth be known
Posted by Maren Hansen at 9:41 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
We are so excited for you all - and for our family! We wish we had some advice on running while pregnant. But I was just a big fat slob with no exercise at all while I was pregnant. Hope you are feeling good - and hope your plan to run the first 2 trimesters works out. Love you. Jan
Congratulations! No advice here either. I am having trouble just running 3 miles without being pregnant. I can't believe you ran 4 1/2! Keep up the good work--although, I sure would take it a little easier. Then again, I am still carrying around baby weight and my boy is four!
Congratulations!! Well, I have a bit of experience and I know the advice my dad (OB/GYN for those reading) gave me, so I'll pass it along, but Talli is the woman!
I think your goal is awesome--I ran up until 18 weeks with Smidget, but took 2 weeks off when I went home to Utah and couldn't pick it back up. That's advice #1--don't quit for even a week (assuming you are healthy) because your body's capacity lessens more quickly when pregnant.
With Queenie (most recent) I was having weird heart racing and rhythms. My dad said it was most likely nothing, but I should not run just to be safe. It was so hard! I had just run a marathon and was in much better running shape, so I couldn't understand why it wasn't working out the way it had with Smidget. So that's advice #2--listen to your body. Be willing to slow down (or even stop) if you need to. As important as running is to you (and believe me, I understand) you as a mother are important to your children--so maintain a healthy respect for your body's signals. (I'm sure you don't need to hear this, but it's what I told myself when I struggled to come to peace with stopping).
Advice #3-- assuming you are able to keep running (and I am sure you will be!) don't expect or try to have PR's or even to do as well as you had before being preggo. It gets progressively harder as you go. It's okay to walk more often, to slow your pace, and/or to decrease your distance.
And my dad's advice in relation to #2 and #3--you should be able to carry on a conversation while running without being breathless. If you are out of breath, you are not getting enough oxygen into your blood and that is, obviously, bad for baby.
Hope that helps.
I am thrilled for you!!
Talk to Melissa Lewis. She ran during her whole last pregnancy. Crazy ladies! I never run at all if I can help it - pregnant or not.
I agree with Polliwog. I ran until I was put on modified bedrest with Kara, but I was really slowing down at 26 weeks. I would run a mile, then walk, then run, etc. My recovery was still pretty good, though, and I was able to do a marathon 9 months after. Congrats on the pregnancy! I'm totally excited for you to have a baby. Maybe a boy??!!? How far along are you? I hope all is well.
I'd send it back if it's a girl...
I bet it will be a girl. You should name her george foreman.
cOngratulations!!
What happy news -- congratulations!! Can't say I have any advice for running while pregnant (obviously), but wish you luck with it...
talk to you soon!
We're very excited to see what your 5th daughter looks like. Hope you are feeling good and can run/walk as much as you want. Let us know how you are doing. Love, Mom B
How wonderful!!! Congratulations!!!
Post a Comment