Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Power of One

How many of you saw that movie as a kid/teenager/young adult? I did, and while I was not impressed with the revenge theme at the end, I did appreciate the message that individuals can have an impact. I look at people like Martin Luther King Jr (and the original Martin Luther), Mother Theresa, and Mahatma Ghandi (the list is endless), and I see how true this is in real life.

Unfortunately, I don't yet see Barack Obama as one of these late/greats (and not just because he's still alive and kicking). On NPR tonight, I heard some British correspondant (of Pakastani descent) talk about how this election showcases America's ability to reinvent itself, as well as how the American system can be changed by just one individual. I had to shut my jaw with my hand at such a shallow and patently untrue remark. The election of a man of African/African-American descent (I make the distinction because his election means so much to many Africans) is a testiment to me of the power of change through the HANDS OF THE MASSES... This is what America is all about to me--democracy and the ability to choose through popular vote. Now I know the system is not perfect and the Federal government is probably exercising more power than it should (compared to local governments), but I still am so grateful that we as an American people could give a man who is obviously talented and has the potential to be a great man the opportunity to ride at the helm of our country, regardless of his ethnicity.

With all that being said, perhaps Obama will rise to be one of the greats of our history. Or perhaps he will simply be like pre-martyr JFK and be known for breaking ethnic barriers (God forbid he meet JFK's end). Either way, he opens the door to future candidates of non-caucasian ancestry, some who will be as great as any we have known. And hopefully, one day soon, one of them will be a woman.

As a side note, because I know you are all DYING to know who I voted for, even though it's none of your darn business... I did vote for McCain because as a woman, I am very enamored of Palin and her economic strategies. Besides, I LOVE Arizona and McCain was well-known to me for many years as an AZ resident. That being said, I normally vote independent, but this year was a BAD year for independents. Maybe I shoulda just written in Dave Barry as I was considering last week...

(Thanks for the pic Liz. Hope you don't mind I ripped it from your blog...)

2 comments:

JandS Morgan said...

Dancing with the President, I like that. I might watch that reality show. Maybe if Palin outdances she could be President.

Annie said...

Well since you're admitting who you voted for, I hope you don't hate me because if my stupid absentee ballot would have arrived as it should have Obama would have been my vote. I glad to see he didn't need it anyway. :)
I bet Palin loves that photo. She'd probably think, "man, I should run for vice president more often when I get a hot bod like that!"