It all started when I went to my primary care doctor to take care of some routine things: allergy med refills, breast lump, endometriosis check-up, etc. I mentioned that I had been dizzy and suspected more anemia. Blood work proved me right. In the interim between getting an in with a hematologist, I sorta got, you know, knocked up... Yay, due date on Mini-Me's bday! Maybe another Father's day gift, eh? No worries, the hematologist scheduled me for some Venifer (my drug of choice) which is iron in a drip bag for all you losers that have to take those nasty green iron supplements... :) On the downside, I caught influenza or something else evil at the doctors office and was literally checked-out for 2 weeks straight. Hope Baby likes cough syrup... :)
Not long later, one of our quarterly Enrichment meetings: assembling 72-hour kits! It went well, and my back is even feeling fine after strong-arming three flats of good to the church (thanks missionaries and RS sisses for your brawn!), and one flat back to Costco of extra stuff. Love the job of Enrichment leader; hate the stress. So when Thurs night rolled around and I simply had to make yummy food to eat and host some friends for book group, no prob! (Note: Shattered Dreams: My Life as a Polygamous Wife by Irene Spencer.) By Friday, though I was getting tired! Fortunately, we only had to take Bub to her Hip Hop class and check out the hospital birthing center of choice.
Saturday morning got me up ready to do an easy 4.5 mile run from church to home after our turn at cleaning. Unfortunately, I never got to that run, or much of anything else this past weekend as I was dealing with miscarriage fun. But as I told Dh, it's better than the bedrest I thought I would be on if it was a pregnancy complication. Frankly, it's not nice to miscarry, but it's worse to sit around your house wondering what is happening and not being able to participate in any of the activities with your family. I couldn't even do Rock-a-bye-baby (full contact edition) with Mini-Me, or dance with Shrimp, or carry clothes for the consignment sale to the car. LAME! So in some respects, I am relieved. And I have a FAB Ob/Gyn who is allowing me the pleasure of donating MORE blood to a righteous cause (the vampires at LabTech). He says it's to check for things that could be causing the recurrent miscarriages, but sometimes I wonder. Fortunately, I still have my punch card and only need two more punches before I get my free bedpan and an entry to win a fully motorized hospital bed...
As if this all wasn't enough, we topped the morning off with a heavy dose of raw sewage all over my freshly sorted (but still dirty) laundry in the basement. Diagnosis: tree root in blocking the main line. I KNEW there was something malevolent about all those bark-covered giants outside! Or maybe that's because I've seen too many Tarkovsky movies with the evil wind blowing through the trees... (Yes, I am scared of windy trees.)
So although it's certainly not a competition, I bet my week was crazier than yours... :) On a bright note, there were some laughs. Take for example the sonographer probing around for like 5 minutes, asking if I'm constipated and all sorts of weird things before I finally realize she's looking for my non-existent left ovary... Oops, forgot to mention the laparotomy... tee, hee Oh, and me trying to explain to Shrimp that the baby was defective and we have to get a NEW one (we had just told them)--she responded asking if we could get one that matched Mini-Me. And one final belly-laugh: watching Mini-Me trying to ride both Bub & Domba at the same time like horses and laughing like crazy as she fell off time and time again. Wish I had been there when the kids saw the sign I put on the basement door this afternoon:
So even though I wanted to end this post with a fun scan of a little embryo, I close by saying I'm glad I got what I got, and I'm grateful I don't have to have another mammogram for at least a decade... :0
Monday, October 20, 2008
What a month!! Sigh...
Posted by Maren Hansen at 9:10 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


10 comments:
Maren,
You are so great. I miss you, and your family, and your humor. I am really sorry about all the junk and hard stuff that has come your way. I am so happy, though, that you have great perspective and are able to look at all the ways you are blessed. What a gift. Hang in there!
I've got nothing up on you babe! You sure know how to keep positive. "Look on the sunny side, always on the sunny side. . . " (humming continues). Take care of yourself and all those girls and boy. =)
I'm sorry to hear it's been a rough few weeks...I'm thinking of you all and hope to see you soon!!
SOOOOOO...my dishwasher and T.V. breaking don't seem like a big deal anymore!!! Hang in there and thanks for the reminder to look for the laughs amidst the craziness.
YOU'RE PREGNANT AGAIN!?
WHAT THE HECK?!
I will take it upon myself to take one of your children. You can pick which one, but I will sacrafice myself for you.
Poopy month though...
Get it?
Poop?
Poop on the floor?
Ha, you want one of my kids?... :) How about all of them?... :)
Oh dear sweet Maren...what a crazy rollercoast of events. As you know, I've miscarried more times than I wish. It's not so much the miscarriage that bugs but all the stuff you have to go through in addition to it. I'm praying for you babe!
Are you serious? How can you sound so chipper when such yuck is surrounding you (literally!). Thanks for the good example. I hope things begin to look up, and that you get all you wish for, which may or may not be another little mini-me running around. Hey, maybe you'd get the other gender this time! Hugs to you.
That bedpan banjo is MESSED UP!
You make my life sound so boring! I am sorry you have had such a great month. I wish I could be closer to help you clean up poop. I am getting good at it. I hope life gives you some sort of break now and then. Good luck. We miss you guys!
Post a Comment