One of the speakers previous to the Bishop also spoke about those in her life who have been "mothers" to her and those who have exemplified the "mother-heart" that Sister Julie Beck talked about. For reference, this speaker does not have children of her own, and talked about how she has had to find ways to mother those around her. I think that is also applicable to those who DO have children. As the oldest of seven kids, I have had the responsibility as the oldest impressed upon me from a young age. When I became a mother, my youngest brother was still in elementary school. I also look around me to the children that flow in and out of my home and the responsibility that comes with setting an example and administering gentle correction in our house.
Some days I just want to lock my kids in a padded room & walk away, but most of the time, I'm so grateful to be their mother and for God granting me the opportunity to raise & learn from them. We've sure got some incredible memories to reflect back on in the decade that we've been in this business, some good, some horrible, and lots of just normal living. If I died tomorrow, I could easily say that I've had my favorite job ever being at home with them.


3 comments:
Good thoughts, Maren! I've had several of the same. You said everything very well. Happy Mother's Day!
I love this. Especially the idea of "celebrating motherhood" instead of "appreciating me." A MUCH better slant.
You also have wonderfully sweet things to say about being a mother and the love you have for your kids is apparent. Great work!
Maren, I'm Natalie Allison's mom and I hope you don't mind me reading your blog. Natalie had some wonderful friends in Ann Arbor and I remember you. She still talks about you. You have some great insights on life's situations and it is fun to read your observations. I hope you enjoy your move back here in the west. If I could only get Natalie a little closer(although their next move will be somewhat in this direction.)You never stop worrying about your children's friends and who they are being influenced by as you talked about with your children. I'm grateful my daughter still has good friends like you who have the same ideals and goals and who genuinely care about them. Thanks for all you have done for her and her little family. Good luck in Utah.
Post a Comment