1. If you had one super power to wish for (X-ray vision, invisibility etc.), what would it be and why?
The ability to be temporarily deaf. There are a multitude of situations in which this would be a life-saver: trying to take a nap on a Sunday afternoon when the kids aren't in school being the most important. Also, wouldn't it be great to be able to claim (honestly) that you didn't hear when your daughter asked you to put the dishes away, do my homework, or practice the harp? And let's not forget when your friend asks a leading question, like how they really need some help with heading up a certain committee or providing daycare for an event.
2. What is your favourite book of all time?
You know this one is nearly impossible for me to answer. But I'm going to try because I'm so happy that I'm not the only one that spells favourite with a "u". I will try and narrow it down to just a few (luckily, "few" has such a loose definition).
a. Brandon Sanderson: I love everything he writes. I love his quirky wit, and his detailed realities, along with his superb characters. I gain a lot of insight on human nature when I become invested in his characters (in a good way, not a Stephen King way).
b. The Doomsday Book (Connie Willis): I am actually a Connie Willis addict and had the opportunity to meet her and get her autograph a couple weeks ago when she was in town promoting her sequel, All Clear. The Doomsday Book is far an away my faves, though, because of it's wonderful tragic element, historical insight, and of course, my favorite character of hers, Mr. Dunworthy. I love that guy.
c. Garbage Land (Elizabeth Royte): This book changed my life. Seriously, it really made an impact (pun-intended) on how I view the natural resources we use each day to the point that I have actually changed my daily habits. That's powerful indeed.
d. There's a Nightmare in My Closet (Mercer Meyer): who doesn't adore this book about not judging based upon appearances? I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the underdog, and I do so love Mercer Meyer in any iteration.
e. What Do You Say Dear? (Sesyle Joslin, pics by Sendak): The best book of manners out there, presented in all of the quirky glory we've come to expect from Sendak's illustrations.
f. Something Wicked This Way Comes (Ray Bradbury): I remember when I discovered Ray Bradbury and immediately ordered everything our library had of his. His horror/sci-fi/fantasy blends have so much to say about ethics and topics that still trouble our society today. I also dearly love Bradbury's shorts, particularly Dandelion Wine & The Martian Chronicles.
g. Calvin & Hobbes anthologies (Bill Watterson): I can't forget to mention these guys, if only because of his wonderful snowmen. God forbid a kid like Calvin ever truly exists...
h. Sunshine (Robin McKinley): This is truly my last one, but I cannot go without mentioning Sunshine. I love the premise and interesting relationship that is formed in this book--my only disappointment is that it is basically made to have a sequel which has yet to arrive.
3. What is your idea of the perfect day?
Okay, done with putting links onto books that no one will click on. Hmm, a perfect day would definitely involve a fair amount of sleeping (like at least 10 hours), not having to cook OR feel guilty for not cooking (either scenario as likely as the other), having a spontaneously fun time with the kids (preferably in the summer at the pool), and reading a good book after the kids go to bed. Wow, that sounds exactly like this past summer. I LOVE MY JOB!!!
4. If you had the chance, what {one} famous person would you meet and why?
I'm going to go with the loose definition of the word "one". Well, I just got to meet Connie Willis who was in the top three on my list. I'd probably add Brandon Sanderson for the heck of it. I also wouldn't mind meeting President Monson (president of the LDS church). As far as dead guys go, I'd love to meet Lincoln, or at least have a look-see on a day in the life, and maybe Malcolm X at the end of his life.
5. If you could possess one talent (singing, painting, writing, etc) and be truly proficient in it, what would it be?
Why pick one? I'd like to be perfect at everything. Okay, actually I wish I had the talent of making time. Or am I confusing this with a super-power? Seriously, what if I could give you an extra hour during nap time to get the finishing touches done on your latest project? Or maybe cut out an hour during Family Life in junior high (aka, the maturation talks)? The possibilities are endless, literally... But if we're talking talents that are humanly possible, I guess I would settle for having a little more social tact. It's the least I can ask for after a lifetime of humiliating my friends (those that have stuck it out and can still honestly be called my friends).
Okay, Michelle, I've answered your questions in far more detail than you ever wished to know. You can chalk it up to a lesson learned...

3 comments:
You spell favorite with a u? Were you British in a past life? Okay, I am going to click on some of your book links now.
Thanks Maren :) I copied the questions from someone living in England, so that explains the u in favorite.
I am going to save this post, so I can look up the book links when I need some new reading material.
Rand wanted to tell you that he was disappointed with the new Brandon Sanderson/Robert Jordan book.
I thought you should know that I clicked on your book links. "Sunshine" and Brandon Sanderson are clearly on Rob and I's favorite lists as well!!
Loved to read about you! Just change the font to white so I don't have to highlight everything as I read. hehe ;)
Post a Comment