Thursday, January 14, 2010

My Sonshine

The Pudge got his cast off yesterday. He's relaxed enormously and been so very happy to have the dead weight off. I saw the x-rays--I thought they would help me overcome the PTSD of seeing the initial ones when his leg was first broken. His leg still looks broken, but it's surrounded by all this white, fluffy stuff. The doctor at the Orthopeds clinic at Children's National said that it looked really good, and that there were no restrictions on him. All that swelling he still has is a nice protective bubble that he'll have till it's all the way mended. I guess just because it is still broken, doesn't mean he can't wiggle. And it doesn't hurt him at all--the doc made me squeeze his fat little thigh to show me that it didn't hurt and that we can resume normal activity with him. Of course, I still wince when I change him, but he kicks it like normal and seems totally pain-free. He was a maniac in the bath today, wiggling and kicking all over like a fish.
I can't say enough good about Children's Hospital. Makes me want to get all of my healthcare there. (Oh, except for the 45 minutes commute and serious lack of adequate parking.) Everyone from the nurses, docs, etc in the ER and in the Orthopedics Clinic were amazing. At our local hospital, he got stuck 4 excruciating times (that means 3 blown veins) as they tried to get an IV in. At Children's, one nurse came in, found a good vein on his ankle and one poke--it was in. Not only do they routinely treat children and know how to do it right, but they are very supportive of parents. Rock on, CNH!!
I got his saucer out (thanks Heatons!) a couple days ago because he was tired of his square of despair and bouncer. You can see above the animal inside coming out. Good thing he's not Cyclops or he would have death-rayed that toy in the first 2 seconds. Can you say hyperfocusing??

3 comments:

JandS Morgan said...

I still want video of him in there. The cross eyed is pretty dang good though.

Jess, Andrew and Family said...

Horay! I'm so glad that the cast is off and eveything is going so well for him! The pictures are adorable!

My Name's Sarah said...

Yay for casts coming off! Those pictures are great. I love it when babies cross their eyes! Ditto to CNMC. I LOVE THEM!