What are we doing these days? This is the perennial question from family members, and likely a sign that we have, 1) been too busy to keep in touch as much as we would like, 2) curled into fetal position and prayed for the morning sickness to abate, or 3) all of the above. Okay, so no one else in the house is pregnant (unless Dh isn't telling me about the first male pregnancy), but it's true that when Mom is out of commission, things don't run as they should. Fortunately, the kids seem to have somewhat adjusted to this new mother-figure who no longer runs every day (too much energy), is more irritable (when nauseated, which is always), and spends A LOT of time on the couch moaning. Okay, I'm not moaning. I'm actually probably sunk into a fiction book trying desperately to forget I'm starving, I'm nauseaus, I'm full, I'm nauseaus, I'm tired, I'm nauseaus, I'm ready to be done having kids...blah, blah, blah. Both my mom and MIL warned about pregnancies in your later child-bearing years: your body doesn't heal as fast, isn't as energetic, etc, and you have a family to run, the list goes on and on. It's not that I didn't believe them, it's that I never thought I would be having a FIFTH kid. Let's face it folks, Dh & I were all up and ready to adopt (and still are should the time be right) after Bub. And then out came a Domba, then a Shrimp, and a little Mini-Me. And now this one. And a couple months ago I found out I have a minor genetic mutation that leads to greater risk of recurrent miscarriage and clotting disorders. Can you say m-i-r-a-c-l-e? Still, I hate early pregnancy and am VERY excited to hit second trimester where you aren't quite as nauseas, your belly-blubber is seen as a baby bump (if only they knew, I've been "showing" for years now), and there is a little more energy in the old bod. I'm left with one lingering question: how in the world do women bear children after 40 and survive the pregnancy??
(To alleviate the pathetic tone of this post, I thought I'd post one of my favorite signs of spring: a house in the neighborhood has hundreds of these purple crocus that pop up in their grass. The pics don't do it justice, but it looks like a virtual fairyland in the sun.)
Wednesday, March 11, 2009
Whine & Cheese
Posted by Maren Hansen at 8:52 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I injured my hip the other night doing yoga and feels just like when I was pregnant. My sister in law could tell you how terrible it is to be pregnant when older. She could get up for 4 months after giving birth. I don't know that I could complain any more with my later ones than I did with my second....
We have a house like that near us too, it's so pretty to see all the flowers in the grass. I think I saw some tulips finally poking up today. It's been so cold this winter I bet they got in some good germinating.
Do you need a good friend to come cheer you up? You might have to get that sorry bod off the couch and play hostess, though. I think we will come out for Spring break! Any chance we could get some other friends to meet us somewhere around you guys? Can't wait!
Hey, I can totally relate. Not on the 5th, but on having kids later in life. Even at 30 weeks, I'm still miserable(sick, back hurts, can't sleep, tired, headaches...) and barely hanging in there. To make it worse my husband is tired of being sympathetic and helpful. He thinks I'm making most of this up and I could do more if I wanted to. Congrats on the baby though and I hope it's a boy for you! :)
Great post! It feel on empathetic ears. That first trimester honestly feel like the worst possible thing to go through when in the thick of it. It's horrible, absolutely horrible. Everytime I go through it I tell myself I'm done having children. Apparently we all forget all too soon. It's almost over babe. Stick in there.
Oh and let me set the record straight for your blog readers: you DO NOT have belly flab. People! Don't let her fill you with her lies and misconceptions. She's got an incredible bod and will look so darling with a little baby bump.
Being prego is definitely crazy. I hope your 2nd tri. is better! Thanks for the last pic - love those crocuses!
Post a Comment