Tuesday, December 23, 2008

What I have been doing lately...

Now that my big Enrichment is over, my Christmas treats baked and distributed, and my Christmas shopping essentially done, I have been working hard to finish my big craft project of the season. I was first introduced to these a couple years ago when my then-ward in Michigan did a Christmas Workshop (Super Saturday) type deal. At the time, I did not sign up for it because I thought that you had to pay $15 for just 4 blocks. Little did I realize that you actually got close to 20 blocks that would allow you to spell several cute seasonal sayings, along with a few symbols (Christmas tree, ghost, heart, etc). For $15, that was a STEAL! A year later (realizing what I was missing), I worked with a good friend to make myself and my sister a set . My friend inspired me as she was making sets for her mom & MIL. So I made plans early this year to make sets for my mom & two MIL. Those plans expanded to my married sisters and then some, especially after a good friend cut and planed ALL the wood for me. (And in exchange for all that work, I simply had to make a set for his wife. Tough life, eh?) The reason I was able to do that was that I got the wood off Freecycle from an old play-structure that had been dissasembled and was going to be trashed. (Look at me being environmentally friendly!) The wood was treated and old, but planing, sanding and several coats of paint (and an acrylic sealant) have remedied that. I have almost competed 4 sets, and have 6 left to go. I cannot believe I got 220+ blocks from all that scrap wood! Granted, many of them have needed some rehabilitation with wood putty/sanding, but I think I'll only end up tossing a couple blocks as unsalvageable... So after buying stencils, paint, sandpaper, and sealant, I think I ended up making these blocks for $10 apiece. Hmm, what do you think they would retail for? $75 + shipping?... :)
I'm just glad I don't have to make any Christmas stockings. I'm even one ahead (since I had TWO good ideas last time I made them). Hopefully I don't have twins next. That would be the ultimate irony... :)
Besides making blocks, I still am working on my brother's mission scrapbook (I promise, I'll finish this year, Josh!), and need to put my Christmas letter together. Dh needs to make our composite pic (you're gonna love our theme this year!), and I need to write... And then, next year, I resolve to finish all my half-done projects in the basement before I start ANYTHING new:
1. Quilted Nativity wall-hanging
2. I Spy bags
3. Bub & Domba bed quilts (rag style in flannel)
4. Extra kids super hero capes
5. Make Dh's Ultimate Frisbee jerseys
6. Recover my couches
7. And as always, get caught up on scrapbooking...
Here's wishing I'll be able to look at this list without regret next year!...

6 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Holy cow, how do you not kill yourself with all this?! But it does look fun, I wish I could just spend all my time on craftiness.

Maren Hansen said...

I wish I could spend all my time on craftiness too. Then I wouldn't be so behind...

Trisha said...

Merry Christmas! Hope you guys had a great day. We sure do miss you. You still have those rag quilts? Aren't those the ones that I helped you with the fabric? Love you guys.
Trisha

Maren Hansen said...

As it so happens, it's actually two more quilts. I finished the fairy ones long ago. These are cat themed ones that I picked out fabric for right before moving (stupidly).

Annie said...

I'm exhausted after reading your list of unfinished projects and slightly overwhelmed because you reminded me of all my unfinished projects. I really want to get some of them done before I head back to Korea.
Those blocks turned out spectacular. Your woodcutter friend is so nice! Do I know him? :)
Hope you had a great Christmas and oh! before I forget, I just got that beautiful scrapbook full of personal notes from the WO Relief Society. I cried. Honestly, I am so touched. It made me miss you guys so much.

JandS Morgan said...

I'm considering whether or not to do these for Super Saturday next year. With how cheap they are I bet they would be a big hit. I can make J do all the woodwork.

Someday I'll make a real quilt.