Thursday, December 4, 2008

I am thankful for Max & Ruby

Is it too late for a gratitude post? Oh, good, because here is my thanks:

I am grateful that...
1. I did not kill Dh when he ran out of gas on the way to work and I found his dead cell phone in the bottom of the washing machine all in one hour...

2. I came home just as the burglar was getting the basement door open this morning so nothing was stolen. (Unless he took some princess dress-up clothes, and that would be a good thing.)

3.I didn't rake the leaves yesterday as I meant too (instead I rehung the icicle lights because they were uneven and bugging me, putting me at 2 hours total on the roof--including cleaning gutters). Without those crunchy, slippery bits of dead tree, I would never have heard the would-be thief slip as he ran out of my basement stairwell.

4. My landlady is the bestest in the whole wide world and not only told me the right thing to do (call the police, you moron--except she said it much, much nicer than that), but she also called me back and told me she and a handyman would come tomorrow to hang a new, better door to the walk-out basement, and finally, told me I could call just to talk if I needed to. Does it get any better than that?

5. My hubby isn't mad at me for harping on him about the running out of gas thing or the cell phone thing, AND came home as soon as he got the message.

6. Police who don't make comments about said princess clothes strewn about the basement (along with tons of other toys), and who are kind about the fact that I'm sorta nervous. Oh, and that show up in 10 minutes from my call to dispatch!! That's pretty good for a non-emergency, eh?

7. Sugar cookies & Max & Ruby DVD's so the two youngest will stop fighting over the spinning desk chairs and instead melt their brains and their tummies with sugar (the literal and mental kind). All so I can have a normal discussion with the police without too much screaming.

8. Last but far from least, a kind Father in Heaven that gave me a teeny tiny prompting that I should go home now as opposed to running one more errand, thus sparing me the loss of stuff, and more importantly, the possibility of tragedy when surprising an adrenaline-heightened, stupid person who may do unpredictable things in the confines of my home. To me. Or worse, to my kids. Thank you for making this a nuisance, not a burden, and definitely not a heartbreak.

As a post-script, this teensy, tiny thought keeps running through my head about when Dh blessed the home when we moved in. Somehow, I have a feeling this played into this. So, as unofficial thanks #9, I am grateful for the priesthood and a worthy priesthood holder, and of course, a God who honors that.

12 comments:

Derek said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Derek said...

And I'm grateful that Maren finally let me out of the Doghouse (mandatory watching for all men)

jules said...

WOW. I'm glad you are okay. I can't imagine how freaky you must feel right now. And how blessed!

Maren Hansen said...

I ALWAYS feel freaky. But that's who I am... And I also was feeling freaked... ;)

Liz said...

Oh goodness! How crazy! And he didn't take anything? See it pays to be poor professors! I too am thankful for max and Ruby but for a total different reason. In London all the cartoons are dubbed in english accents so Will has picked up his own english accent! It's rather endearing if I do say so.

Lynn said...

I can't even imagine what you must have been feeling. I'm so glad you're all okay!! (and I'm a big believer in and very grateful for those promptings, seeing as one of them kept me awake for an imminent apartment building fire...)

On an unrelated note, we need to get together sometime before I leave for the holidays since I have your family present...any plans next weekend or the following week? (I'll also be bringing "presents" back with me, as you probably figured ;)

JandS Morgan said...

Whew, scary. Sometimes I wish a burglar would break in and take some of my junk...

Polliwog said...

Yikes. I have nightmares about that kind of thing--I'm so sorry it happened, but you are right . . . lots to be thankful for in spite of it all.

Love you!

Jocelyn said...

I've heard that this year had been a big year for robberies and stuff, with the bad economy right now.

Annie said...

Are you serious?! Angels are watching over you girl. Glad you are safe.
Toys don't put themselves away, but for me they disappear when I shut the door! :)

mama bear said...

I'm finally catching up on everyone's blogs - wow, I can't believe that happened! I would so be freaking out and probably want to move. Or get a gun. I'm glad you are okay.

Erin aka Conscious Shopper said...

I think my RSS feed for your blog must be messed up. I just found this post of yours....I am so glad you guys are okay and that you got home in time so nothing was stolen. Our apartment was broken into in the middle of the night while we were sleeping several years ago. I still have nightmares about it now and then and get freaked out sometimes when Michael is gone and I'm home alone with the kids. Not trying to scare you, but just wanted to let you know that I understand if you need someone else to vent to.