Tuesday, September 9, 2008

God's Sense of Humor

I bet you thought this was going to be a post about me being pregnant with twins based on the title, huh? Well, I'm not and the blog title isn't some cleverly worked bit of sarcasm. It is, in fact, about God's sense of humor...

So as I tidied up the other day (as I do all day, every day in my role as household supervisor and engineer), I grabbed Dh's scriptures from in the family room and tossed them on our bed from the doorway. I'll admit that I had a vague mental echo of a past roommate's chastisement for committing the same travesty in my youth, especially when I heard them bounce twice and eventually land on the floor. Later I moved to tidying my bedroom and saw that his scriptures had fallen open and felt a little tug to read what it had fallen to:

20 Now I need not rehearse the matter; what I have said may suffice. Behold, the scriptures are before you; if ye will wrest them it shall be to your own destruction.
(Alma 13:20)

My gut reaction was, "Is this one of those gentle reminders that I should treat the scriptures with more respect, etc, etc?" But that didn't feel right. Could it be a joke, in fact, divine humor?? As I thought this, a glee and delight just bubbled up and I couldn't contain my laughter! It felt as if I were sharing a joke with a dear friend and it boggled my mind. Previously, I had pictured God with a smile on his face, a little delight here or there, but never chuckling, much less belly-laughing. I've been proved wrong, at least by my own experience. And how strange would that be for Him to possess a great sense of humor? When you consider the broad scope of his role and existence, it makes perfect sense. Humor is a stress-reliever, a protection against despair and depression, a tool for healthy grieving. And I can attest that I've already done things in my life that could (theoretically speaking, of course :) cause such feelings in a Heavenly Parent...

Now I'm not condoning scripture "wresting" (mental and physical), but I will say this: if God can use the scriptures to make a joke that makes my week, well, I guess I can relax a little and remember the whole reason for everything I do. What's that? To make myself in the image of God and be as He is. Sounds like fun, eh?

(*Picture above shows Domba with the dreaded and highly contagious Cheeriosis disease...)

3 comments:

Annie said...

If God is a stiff, my whole world just got shot down. I totally believe he has a sense of humor and joys in a good laugh. But when I think of a belly laugh I get a Santa Claus image...not quite right. Oh well.
Thanks for sharing your humor moment with deity.

Maren Hansen said...

I always thought of Santa too, esp since my dad has a bit of a tummy and it shakes like a bowl full of jelly. Then I had kids and gained my own bowl full of belly, oops, I mean jelly, and I realized that it doesn't take a beer gut to to belly laugh... :)

amydear said...

That's funny! And I hope your daughter recovers from that mysterious illness. I love your sense of humor too!