Wednesday, February 6, 2008

I can't think of a creative title...

It's been a rough week since President Hinckley's passing. I didn't realize how much it would affect me until it happened. I can't get those cute pictures out of my head of him "knighting" President Eyring in Fall 2007 conference... As Polliwog said, it's a measure of his greatness that so many who have never even met him personally feel so deeply his loss from this world. I am so happy that he can be back with Marjorie--I just wish and wait for the day when we will ALL be together again without these tough partings. Death is such a bummer.

I did some work done this week, however, including 26 loads of wash (it was a spring cleaning type week), replacing the kitchen faucet, complete with sprayer (Thanks for all the help Dad!), held Valentine's Enrichment (with YW and Faith in God girls), did a little decorating (vinyl letter wanna-be's), vacuumed (I kid you not, it took TWO HOURS to just do the upstairs today it was SO bad), and took care of sick kids. We have finally recovered from the cold from hell. Man it was a nasty one. Just a couple lingering coughs here and there. Even Derek's asthma seems to be going down and he was able to run again yesterday.

A word on the lettering--so far I have loved them except for a minor pet-peeve: they don't stick very well! Granted, they are knock-off chipboard types, but the adhesive seemed fine until I kept coming in in the mornings and finding a new saying (fa ily: not super encouraging; or Le gthen our S RIDE: what's an S-ride?). So I had to put some stick-em stuff on them, and that isn't doing it's job super well either. Hmmm... I just hate to fork out the dough for the expensive vinyl ones. And if I do, I think I would want to make a plaque so I don't have to toss the letters when we move from this rental...

Polliwog requested organization tips. Here are a few of my faves:'

1. I love those plastic storage carts with drawers. I find that a room less cluttered with furniture at least SEEMS more organized. For the most part, we don't have chests of drawers or armoires, just the plastic rolling storage carts at the bottom of the closets under the girls' hanging clothes. I started doing this in Family Housing when space was an absolute premium, and have since decided that it's the only way to go. Especially since with four girls, we aren't exactly rolling in the square footage anyway. They clean easy, and I make sure and get the ones that open easily, even after having heavy stuff set on them. I also like to use them in the coat closet for shoes, gloves, hats, mittens, umbrellas, etc.

2. I use my old Caboodles for mine and the girls' hair doodads. Similar to the fishing tackle box, just bigger since there are 5 of us...

3. I know I've mentioned the Rubbermaid totes--they are a lifesaver in helping keep all the girls' clothes (too small, in between and out-of-season) organized. With four little ones to keep dressed, it can get pretty confusing, especially when they are the same gender! I also have a label maker that I use to put the general sizes on. This also works for shoes, decorating elements I'm not currently using, and Dh and I's old homework, etc.

4. Those cheap plastic baskets are great for organizing our medicine closet, as well as general home supplies (light bulbs, extension cords, baby-proofing goods, scented plug-in refills, etc). I've got the scattered all over the house.

5. Filing cabinets: if you don't have an actual filing cabinet yet, you must not pay taxes, live in a house, have credit cards or a bank account, and/or pay utilities. All that paper adds up, and doesn't package easily, so I like the legal size files (1/3 cut). I got an old one for free from my last place of employment years ago--I see them on freecycle all the time, 2- and 4-drawer, letter and legal size. They're not pretty, but they are essential. I also like to keep a couple slim filing boxes on top that I file when it reaches capacity.

6. Coat hooks at kid level=no more coats scattered around the entryway (after training, of course). 'Nuf said.

7. Hooks in the bedrooms for pajamas and/or the next day's clothing and/or robes. I got the cute ones with a wood shape at the top and a black metal hook extending down. You can paint them or leave them as is for the natural look.

8. Shower caddies: I'm a big fan of these ever since Domba and Shrimp where found (almost) taste testing my razor (ick and ouch). In our current house, we have the spring rod corner ones. Love it. I've also been known to use the ones that hang from the shower head, though they are harder to get at for Bub when she needs to get her shampoo down.

Okay, that's all for now and you probably already use all of these tricks. I hope this doesn't make you think that I'm angelically clean--I had dirt and mess, but I live an extremely cluttered life. It's sick and wrong the number of "to-do" piles that I have all over the house... Please share your ideas on your blogs so I can pick up a few more hints!

PS Just a cute photo of the two youngest enjoying our freecycle swingset in the 60+ degree weather!...

1 comments:

jules said...

One more bathroom organization tip - buy one of those clear shoe-pocket door hangers and hang it on the back of the bathroom door. It's made for shoes, but works wonders for all the little bottles, toothbrushes, Band-Aids, razors, etc. Make sure you get a clear one or you might never find anything again! :)