to me... Muchos gracias to all those dear folk who helped make my birthday even sweeter. Turning 29 for the 3rd year in a row could get a person down, but not me! I had a wonderful day, full of presents (100+ homemade birthday cards, each cuter than the last), birthday calls (even though my dad called to laugh at me "getting old"--I guess that makes him ancient), and lots of glorious sleep (sleeping in till 8:10 AND a 2.5 hour nap--WOW!). For dinner we tried California Tortilla (delicious tortilla soup in a crisp tortilla bowl), then went to the local Deseret Book type place and got me a darling Willow Tree statue (from the girls OWN money + a little help from Dad), and then more lovely presents (mini-muffin pans, stacking cooling racks, Crop-A-Dile (scrapbook tool) the list goes on and on). Then we had a babysitter come and we saw I Am Legend. Whew, ya, I didn't sleep too well after that movie, and not so much from the scary zombies... All in all, it was a very full and satiating birthday... Now I want to give something back. Here is one of my favorite birthday memories--I told this to the kids as we finished dinner:
Remember back in high school (those of you that are roughly my age=29 plus or minus a few) when getting a balloon bouquet and/or flowers was the height of coolness? The elite of the elite might even get a small stuffed bear to anchor their masses of mylar and latex? Yes, I was one of those who coveted such an expression of love and prosperity. I'd never been the proud owner of such a lavish display of affection, but that didn't stop me from dreaming about it every single year, from getting excited when someone came down from the office to one of my classes to deliver a message. On January 8th, 1993, my dreams came true and I was the lucky winner of a call to the office for a gigantic balloon bouquet. My hands literally did shake with excitement as I tore open the note card to see who loved me so much... Would it be Alison? Ainsley? All my girlfriends? Or, could it be from...Kurtis?
Nope, it was from someone much more special and dear to me, someone whose home phone number and address I actually know (unlike the aforementioned friends). It was from Steph, my sister, my shadow, my best friend and worst enemy. Steph and I are 18 months apart and have been called twins our whole lives. Of course, in high school, I was too "cool" to actually care about a younger sister, and too abjectly stupid to realize what a golden, loving, and dedicated friend she could (and eventually would) be. And yet even I, at the apex of teenage-induced dumbness realized what a sacrifice this would have been for her, financially and in other ways. I was touched.
Now, wait a minute, you say, I thought your birthday was the 18th, not the 8th...? Yes, folks, the florist messed up and accidentally sent this beautiful bouquet 10 days early. And Steph lamented that fact and was so sorry that it hadn't arrived on THE day so that I could gain the adulation and adoration of all my friends and schoolmates. As I told her today on her blog, I am grateful it came on the wrong day. For by doing so, it imprinted itself on my memory even more strongly. And now that I think I see a little bit more of that gold, no inestimable worth, it means even more to me. I can't remember what everyone's reaction was to my beautiful balloon bouquet, but I can remember the love and true friendship my sister showed me that year, and other years to come as she continued to remember and celebrate my birthday with me. So here's to you, sis, may all your wildest dreams come true (including the Bonne Bell dispensers in the bathrooms)... :)
PS I still have the little shaped plastic anchors they attached to the balloon strings--I gave them to Bub one year and they became "cookies" in the kitchen set.
Saturday, January 19, 2008
Feliz Cumpleaños
Posted by Maren Hansen at 11:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I'm glad you had such a good birthday! And I'm glad you liked? the movie? :) I love your story about the balloons. I liked to deliver the balloons to the "cool" boys that were mortified having to carry them around all day.
Happy birthday....even if I was a day late! Hope all is going well and you are not freezing your tushie off too much! Have a great week
Happy Birthday! I love that story about your sister and the balloons. It's so sweet.
L won't stop saying he wants the balloons that you have in your picture.
We'll have to send our kid's balloons when they are in high school so they'll love us ;)
I am so sorry that I am about the lamest friend ever. I seriously remembered your birthday up until a few days before. I cheated and saw it on the RS newsletter. I kept thinking to myself, "you've got to call Maren on her birday, don't forget." Well you know what happen. For what it's worth, happy birthday dear one. I'm glad it was a good one for you.
Post a Comment