Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Cricket Woes

My war with the crickets reached a new low last night as I accidentally stepped on one with BARE FEET. I am scarred--I am seriously considered cutting my foot, or at least part of it off. I can't seem to stop feeling that soft crunch... AAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGGG... Derek heard me screaming as I wiped my foot and half my epidermis off. He thought there was a snake or something. I told him I LIKE snakes and wouldn't be screaming, but try to catch it to put it outside. Too bad my charity doesn't extend to the crickets. After that life-shattering incident, I went down to change the wash again later and flushed two more crickets. Hasta la vista, baby!

Last night was a nice quiet night--Derek played some chess and I read a sci-fi book from my dad, The Digital Dead. It was pretty good, though based on all the black marker, may not be suitable for young readers.... As we were sitting and reading, I suddenly heard the distinct sound of our front door knob being turned a couple different ways. It was over quickly, so in a delayed reaction, Derek went to look through the door windows and saw nothing. We had our porch light one, but not the entryway light. The family room light was one too, so I would think it would look like someone was awake. Derek and I were wondering if it was an animal. Don't know of any local animals with opposable thumbs, but maybe they bumped into the open storm door? All very mysterious, and believe me, the doors are staying locked. (Fortunately, they were both locked last night as I rarely leave them open, even when Derek is home.)

We are having a mini-Enrichment meeting this Thursday on storing water. My friend and I are going to get some of those Pepsi syrup barrels for some of the people that signed up. I hope we can fit what we need in the van. I might have to hit Derek up for some daytime babysitting and make a couple trips... :)

I'm also hosting bookgroup tomorrow night on Asimov's Nightfall (the novel not the short story). I hope it goes well. I can't say that bookgroups that I talk into doing sci-fi have gone super well in the past. It's hard being such an outlyer--I don't know too many females who's favorite movies include Dumb & Dumber, Batman Begins, and the Matrix trilogies. Or that regularly read fantasy AND sci-fi. I guess I must have a strong "masculine" side... :)
Maren (the accidental cricket slayer)

3 comments:

Polliwog said...

What a fun day/week for you! I am so scared every time I move to a new place--I'm just getting over it here. The noise at the door would have put me over the edge. As a sidenote, in the book "The Prizewinner of Defiance, Ohio" they had a cat who could open doors. It was a true story too. So, you never know. :)

JandS Morgan said...

Nothing beats stepping on a slug and having it squirt up your leg.

jules said...

GROSS for the crickets!! I'd say Steph's slug story has you beat, though. My favorite is when I went to throw away a HUGE spider I had just killed (surprising myself with my bravery) and having a different spider crawl out of the trash can as I opened the lid!

How was your book group?