Sunday, October 28, 2007

An Evil Movie

Recently, I picked up a trilogy by Phillip Pullman called "His Dark Materials". At first, I really enjoyed them. But as I got to the middle of the second book, I realized that there was no way I could ignore the blatant anti-God, anti-religion agenda. In fact, it got to the point that the books became offensive and could not stand any sort of justification according to my beliefs. I stopped reading around the end of the 2nd book. Fast forward a month with me looking over the girl's new Scholastic Book Order pamphlets. Imagine my horror when I found they are releasing a movie this December 7th based on the first book! Admittedly, the first book was the most innocuous, but if kids see the movie, then want to read the books, they will get sucked into what I consider insiduous and evil propaganda. After reading numerous news articles about Phillip Pullman, I realized that it was not just my own opinion prevailing. Pullman has admitted, in a 2003 interview, that the books are about "killing God". As a deeply religious person, I find such brainwashing, targeted against children, in the same vein as Richard Dawkins and Karl Marx: satanic, barbaric, and criminal. So, if you too are a religious person, I would urge you to either avoid these books/movie(s) and talk to your children about why you are doing so. If you want to read more information on the movie, look here:
IMDb
or if you want more information on the current uproar, read here:
Snopes
Okay, enough of my ranting.
maren

4 comments:

Polliwog said...

So I am kind of embarrassed to say this with all of the recent hoopla about the upcoming movie, but I loved this trilogy and completely missed the anti-God everything. I'm sure if I were to read them again, knowing what I know, I would definitely pick up on it. But I (as a college student, mind you) just read it as a fun, fictional read. Anyway, I'm not recommending the books (though I have many times in the past, before I was "clued in") but I am saying that the idea people are sending around that if you let your child read this book they will be brainwashed into hating God is kind of ridiculous. It will go way over their heads, at least it did mine! Just my 2 cents.

Polliwog said...

btw, I wasn't talking about you being ridiculous, I was referring to some emails I've been sent. They sound pretty dramatic. :) Like I said, I am sure I just missed the themes. I think that most kids would too. But I won't be encouraging my kids to read them, nevertheless.

jules said...

Interesting -- I've never heard of the books, but I appreciate your candid opinion. That's one thing I like about you...your candidness! :)

JandS Morgan said...

I just read on article on fox news about this. It is too bad because the books sound like they could be good. In the article I read they quoted Pullman as saying they were to counter CS Lewis's narnia series. That made me mad since I love those books.