Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Epiphany

A couple nights ago, I went to bed with a terrible headache, one that had been building all day. As usual, I read my scriptures for a few minutes before crashing. I was feeling a little down, mostly because I was tired and my head hurt, so I decided to do that turn-your-scriptures-to-a-random-page-and-read it. I flipped around a little till I felt like I should go to the Doctrine & Covenants. As it so happened, this is what I read: (Imagine you are a mother of 4 expensive little girls, living even further from family and loved ones, trying to pay off student loans on an assistant professor budget, and save up for a down payment for a house in a place whose housing prices compare to California...)

1 I, the Lord your God, am anot displeased with your coming this journey, notwithstanding your follies.
2 I have much atreasure in this city for you, for the benefit of Zion, and many people in this city, whom I will gather out in due time for the benefit of Zion, through your instrumentality.
3 Therefore, it is expedient that you should form aacquaintance with men in this city, as you shall be led, and as it shall be given you.
4 And it shall come to pass in due time that I will agive this city into your hands, that you shall have power over it, insomuch that they shall not bdiscover your secret parts; and its wealth pertaining to gold and silver shall be yours.
5 Concern not yourselves about your adebts, for I will give you power to pay them.
6 Concern not yourselves about Zion, for I will deal mercifully with her.
7 Tarry in this place, and in the regions round about;
8 And the place where it is my will that you should tarry, for the main, shall be signalized unto you by the apeace and power of my bSpirit, that shall flow unto you.
9 This place you may obtain by hire. And inquire diligently concerning the more ancient inhabitants and founders of this city;
10 For there are more treasures than one for you in this city.
11 Therefore, be ye as awise as serpents and yet without bsin; and I will order all things for your cgood, as fast as ye are able to receive them. Amen.

As I read this scripture to Derek last night, all he could say was, "Wow." Sure seems like this section was written just for us. I must admit, the opportunity for missionary work is incredible here, and we have already had the chance to be a part of it in the 2 months we've been here. So I will try and be content to be so far from family, and ignore the rude drivers, and be a part of this community. And somehow, we will know where (and how) to buy a house! :)
maren

4 comments:

JB said...

Maren,

Wow- you know, it sounds like you guys are about to have some very amazing experiences- I'm proud of you for recording them because I know days come when I forget that I had received an answer or guidance...and if I just would have written them down to help me remember my own personal scriptural experiences!

-Alexis

Annie said...

That's incredible! What a wonderful experience the Lord gave to you, letting you know that he loves you, is aware of your needs and will help you as you exercise faith in Him.
P.S. So glad to have another blogging friend! :) Thanks again for spearheading the playday/enrichment activity today. I know those women will really appreciate the notes and hearts. May blessing pour upon you guys!

Engineman said...

Just remember to be careful which "men in this city" that you form acquaintances with. Actually maybe you should let Derek take care of that part.

Thanks for sharing.

-Rob

jules said...

I LOVE when this happens! I had an epiphany last night about my pain and my darling baby. Sometimes we just need a reminder, you know? Love you!