Sunday, June 30, 2013

Red Rock Overload

It's kind of disturbing how little I blog now.  I mean I may live close to family now, but that means I live far from so many friends.  So I'm going to try and do a little catch-up.  But not of everything because honestly, I can only stand to look at these pictures so many times...  I mean, my kids are cute and everything but...

Let's lead with some puppy love, shall we?  Dade sure loves the little furry dude, probably more than said furry dude would like...

Summer was a crazy, fun mess this year (and every year I guess).  We started off with Derek's 20th year high school reunion.  He has this amazing group of friends that has stayed connected all these years.  It was so fun to catch up with them and their wives.  Really some exceptionally nice people.

We met up with dear friends from Maryland and toured the desert southwest this year.  The Grand Canyon was one of our stops (south rim) and just as amazing as when we saw it last 13 years ago.  It was fun to explore it with the kids and do their junior ranger program.

We also made our annual trip up to Island Park, ID even taking the stinky dog with us.  Unfortunately, he didn't get eaten by a bear.  He did just miss being eaten by a moose that wandered through the cabin's yard...
 This year's exploration of Yellowstone was special as my mom took us on an off-trail hike to some really cool (and smelly) mud pots, steam vents, and other geothermal features.  It was really fun, but I admit to a bit of fear every time the little guy got within 12 feet of any of those boiling hot pools.  Probably been reading too much of the Yellowstone "cookbook"....

 On our way south, we decided to stop and tour Cove Fort, a small Mormon settlement that was originally founded as a mail stop and telegraph waystation.  We got a nice tour from the missionaries there and I got to see how much they'd improved the site since I was a kid when it first opened up as a historic landmark.

I cannot tell you how convenient it is to have a grandma in St. George (southern) Utah.  Not only do we get to visit her and stay in the lovely house there, but we also get to enjoy the wonderful splash park and other sites of St. George (more on that later).

You've never been to a real splash park till you've played in one that has shallow streams winding around with red rocks, waterfalls, bronze statues squirting water, and even a large splash pad.  Frankly, I think this is one of the best splash parks I've ever attended and it's 100% free.  Prepare to get wet, though, because when it's 110F, you won't care if you're wearing a white tee or not...

Okay, sayonara for now.  More summer to come...

0 comments: