Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Me + 3 cans of Mountain Dew + long interstate drives = pathetic ruminations

I read a lot.  For example, last year I read 91 books (really, I thought that number would be higher...).  I'm an eclectic reader: I like general fiction, thrillers, historical fiction, mystery, period pieces, horror, sci-fi, graphic novels, even the occasional romance.  But the true love of my life is fantasy.  Unfortunately much of adult fantasy is rife with unsavory & immoral elements, so I like to go for the Young Adult & even some Teen reads.  While I love the youthful feeling of these levels, there are some cheesy elements that can be hard to take.  For example, it generally drives me nuts when a character (generally a young person at the beginning of the book who is experiencing a major life change like a move or new school, etc.) chants insipid & repetitive drivel.  The worst example of this is, "What am I doing?" and "I can't believe this is happening--make it go away."  I know that I am guilty of unfair judgment since I am a reader and have the secure knowledge that things will (almost) always end fine and that in fact, the main character's angst will be the vehicle for the plot.  Still, I tend to skim past these parts and on to the supernatural elements that so excite me as a reader.

Cut forward to me driving mile after mile of lonely highway on our (cue hysterical laughter) major life transition: a move to a new city, 2500 miles from our previous home.  Can you guess what thoughts are running maniacal circles through my mind?  Yes, the very same panicky, "Wait, what are we doing?  Make it stop--put it back the way it was!!"  Guilty as served--perhaps my life was getting a little too comfortable in our previous abode.  I sort of doubt though, that my angst-driven future will be full of hunky magic-workers (unless you count the magic Derek can do at the changing table in the nursery :) or new-found fantastical bloodlines (sorry Amelia), but I have no doubt that it's what we are supposed to be doing.  I just wish it didn't hurt so much to leave our friends in Silver Spring behind...

2 comments:

Trisha said...

I bet you have tons of time to think of all these things. Just remember that you will get to see us more. That aught to count for something! We are so excited to see you guys. Hope the drive goes well and safe.

Whitehead Family Fun said...

Congrats on the move. I'm sure it is super stressful. It made me think how you guys have already done another stop and we are still in Michigan :) Hope everything went as smoothly as it can moving with 5 kids.