Tuesday, May 11, 2010

This'n'That

 My Domba is the master of lyric-confusion.  She's so good at it she should get some sort of recognition.  Yesterday she told me that she realized on Sunday that she's been singing that classic mother's day song (I Often Go Walking) wrong: "Dear Mother, of all flowers, remind me of you."  Let us not forget the Baptism Song: "I know when I am baptized, my arms wrongs are washed away," or my new personal favorite: "I am a rock, I am an eyyyyyyyyyyelid."  I'm excited to expose her to new songs and see what lyrics she graces us with...

It's been an undeniably beautiful spring.  The blossoms have come and gone (forsythia, daffodils, cherry, grape hyacinth, azaleas, dogwoods), and yet the pleasant weather has remained.  The mosquitoes still haven't come out in full force yet, and we've had minglings of hot & cool days to balance each other out.  I planted my garden on Saturday and am crossing my fingers for a little less precipitation this summer.  I also bought plants this year instead of starting from seed in hopes of circumventing my black thumbs.  Hopefully we'll be harvesting tomatoes, bell peppers, sweet peppers, hot peppers (hungarian wax), cilantro, rosemary, oregano, cantelope, honeydew, and possibly a pumpkin.  I composted a rotten pumpkin in one of my garden beds 2 years ago, and found a baby pumpkin sprout on Saturday.  I also found some spearmint that I never thought to see from last year...  It's amazing these plants have survived, in spite of me!

We've spent a lot of time relaxing in the hammock between two dogwoods at the stream's edge.  I think we're trying to get in as much outdoor play as we can before those awful Asian Tiger Mosquitoes take our yard away.  One lady advised a possible remedy that I intend to try this year: buy two giant fans (we're talking Costco sized & super-powered) and point them both at the same spot in the yard.  They are so powerful they just blow the mosquitoes away.  I have my mosquito netting clothes, but they have yet to market children-sized ones. 

Mini-Me just finished a round of gymnastics classes.  She was duly adorable and loved jumping & climbing like the monkey she is.  Her older three sisters just started Irish Dance Classes.  They all seem to enjoy it, despite their differing levels of ability.
 There is ever so much more I include, but it's much later than I thought, and I'm pooped.  Buenos noches for now...

6 comments:

Churndash said...

Love Doomba's face in the first picture!

I recommend you not plant the melons and the pumpkin too close together. We got "squashmelons" once. Blech. Cross-pollination of squash and melons does not result in anything edible. -- Aunt Kathy

Churndash said...

Oh, and I think I'm going to sing it "I am a rock, I am an eyyyyyyelid" from now on. Thanks!

Maren Hansen said...

Wow, thanks for the melon tip. Our squash/melons all rotted last year or just didn't grow because it was so cold/wet, and by chance, I didn't plant the two together this year... Phew!

Ya, Domba has ruined many a song for me too.... :)

Churndash said...

And of course there are the old classics: "Come, come ye saints, no toilet paper here..."

JandS Morgan said...

I've been thinking lately how much Fefe reminds me of Domba. I think her new haircut makes it particularly obvious. Weird since Domba takes after D's family so much.

jules said...

If you have a black thumb and can make a garden grow, maybe there IS hope for me! I'm going to start with just flowers this year and then maybe next year when we're in a home long enough...I'll garden.

I absolutely LOVE the pic of silly Domba! And of the girls and guy on the hammock. Still not used to a boy in your fam. I'll have to meet him in person before I believe it.

Love you, sis!