It's because of this that I have never been jealous of Derek's priesthood duties. I know there are many who would say that there is more to it than that, and point out that women are co-inheriters of priesthoods through the ordinances of the temple. I'm not talking about that stuff, but of the things priesthood bearers do like give blessings, ordain other priesthood holders, etc, etc. And yes, I am perfectly aware of the gift of healing that was given to women in the early days of the church. Still, I consider my role today as a mother, with all of it's attendant feelings, to be a perfect fit to Derek's role in our home as priesthood bearer, with all of it's attendant feelings. And as a mother, I have had times where I have felt a faith more than my own as I have prayed for my children to be healed, to be comforted in their extremity, or for lice to depart the premise. It would seem there is some cross-over, eh? Perhaps that lies in the very fact that both duties are of godly nature, indeed the very fabric of our purpose for being.
On his side of the coin, I can hardly imagine the intense feelings of translating God's very thoughts as he gives blessings. Many times, he has told me that he has felt my "very soul" or that of our children in some personal, sacred moments. Having said all this, I'm not a perfect parent and there are certainly days that I wish I had a few less kids, as I'm sure they feel about me at times as well. These ephemeral feelings are not the basis of my relationship with them, nor the godly bonding that we share. Anyway, enough of my ramblings. Feel free to comment your thoughts--I'd love to hear your criticisms or clarifications.

3 comments:
Thank you, Maren for a very timely post. I agree with your thoughts and am glad I know you. :)
I totally agree! I have never felt "neglected" because I don't have the priesthood. I KNOW that motherhood (and all women have it) is so terrific and I would never trade!
did I mention you are beautiful through and through? (sorry I read your posts backwards); I love momlove too, and the more I get, the more I feel like I discover who I really am (or have been all along)
Post a Comment