Saturday, October 24, 2009

Novelty Addiction

Do you remember the intense hype as we all waited for the release of Harry Potter 7? Or how about the latest Star Trek installment? Lately I've been thinking about my own need to get the latest thing as it rolls off the conveyor belt. I've often heard this classified as the "keeping up with the Joneses" syndrome. But I think it's more than that. It's a need to get, a need of possession. An article in Wired put a humorous spin on this need. But what's not funny are the effects of allowing this need unbridled rein of your life. Mounting debt, time spent learning about the latest gadgetry and trends, time not spent making the memories that last w/family and friends: these things lead to an enslavement that is hard to overcome, an addiction if you will. The subtle outcome of this is a spiritual void that is forever trying to fill itself with the newest kitchen appliances, the latest computer, and trendiest family vacation. Make no mistake, I'm as guilty as the Joneses neighbors. Maybe one of my New Year's resolutions should be to make more time for the things that matter most and better immerse myself in the spiritual side of life. And get that Kitchenaid mixer of my dreams... ;)

1 comments:

JandS Morgan said...

That's one aspect of my RS lesson I'm going to teach this Sunday. Maybe I'll quote from your blog :)