Thursday, October 22, 2009

Just when you get comfortable in your anxiety over your own situation, you remember how pitiful and pathetic your problems are. You get a brutal reminder of how insignificant those problems are and hug your children a little closer as you realize that life is long and seems short... God forgive me for ever being so shallow.

On a lighter note, things are better than at first sight. Only the Bub has lice, granted about 5 million nits. But at least she can sit still and get nit-picked (love all these figures of speech) with a fine tooth comb... (Actually, we found tweezers to be the most effective, closely followed by finger nails.) The two oldest are feeling a lot better, and the most the baby and I have had so far is headaches and a bit of sniffles. Now if I can just find the receipt to return all this Rid shampoo...

In the blessing Dh gave me, he mentioned that the Lord has been strengthening me physically and mentally. It's true--despite how very hard this postpartum period can be, it's like I've been cocooned in the soft fleece of stability and love. All in such a direct way, not just through the wonderful love and support from friends and family. That's not to say things have been easy. But they have been survivable. The greatest gift the Lord has given me is my husband. I could never begin to say enough good about him. All the times he lets me go back to bed, despite having been up so much himself that night. The concern he shows despite how endless my whining seems. The multitude of times he thanks me for things like breastfeeding our baby (never an easy task for me), or mundane things like doing the wash and the dishes. Seriously, I know it's been said before, but I really think I may have married the most perfect man on the planet. Sorry, ladies. He's eternally taken.

Anyway, one more shout-out to all the people have offered so much love and support. Things are rolling along and one day soon I'm confident I'll soon be able to say we are lice- and germ-free. Just in time to get nice and sick from all that delicious Halloween candy!!!

3 comments:

Jess, Andrew and Family said...

MAREN!!! I just spent the last hour reading that blog and sobbing my eyes out! It certainly does put things in perspective. As someone with mild anxiety over the thought of losing a child, I take such comfort in the atonement.
I'm glad to hear you guys are on the mend! We missed you at book club. Next month is "Three Cups of Tea".

amydear said...

You know what, though, everyone has their own set of trials, and sometimes a newborn, sickness, and lice can be a lot! I'm glad you've felt a lot of love and support. That will help you send lots of love and support to others. And Derek does sound like a wonderful husband. I'm glad you have him!

JandS Morgan said...

Everytime I think of lice I remember rubbing my hand through Amilkia's hair and wondering what the little sandlike things were in there and then realizing they were lice eggs. That was fun. Glad it is turning out better. I've been praying for you guys. That baby sure looks cute.