Sunday, June 21, 2009

Daddy's Day

I love my dad. I'm the oldest of 7 kids and my dad has long been a good influence on me, something that (I hope) has trickled down a little to my younger siblings and now my own children. I distinctly remember helping him clean out the garage one late summer day in our house in North Carolina and complaining about something or other. His response to me was key, and something that continues to develop meaning as I grow in my roles. He said, "Parents make mistakes. We just hope that you'll learn from our mistakes and be a better parent than us." Not only was this truly wise, but very humble. Another time, he took me aside and showed me the scriptures in D&C 121 that talk about unrighteous dominion, in the context of my babysitting skillz... Or lack thereof I should say. His manner was such that I didn't feel attacked, and actually had an impact on me. Until you've raised someone like me (who was a teenager from the day I was born), you don't know what that really means. So yes, my dad has made mistakes, but on the other hand, he has made so many lives better that I think those mistakes might have been canceled out... Except for the part where he used to tell me that my widow's peak meant that my husband had died in the war in heaven... ;)
Fortunately for me, Derek decided to marry me out of pity since I was soul-mate-less... And the funny thing is, he's turned out to be an incredible father too. When you're dating, you don't really think of those things, and if you do, you don't really have a frame of reference to judge anyway. I guess that's part of why it's so important to rely on the Holy Ghost when choosing your eternal mate. Double my fortune, he not only turned out to be the perfect parent, he also turned out to be a nearly perfect person. I'm firmly convinced that he's still here just for my & the kid's sakes. Otherwise, he would've been snatched for post-mortal missionary activities long, long ago. Happy father's day to my two favorite dads!!

4 comments:

JandS Morgan said...

Still love him, even with all the teddy bear torture?

Cheri said...

Such sweet words! Here's hoping all your project dreams come true this summer...

My Name's Sarah said...

Very sweet. I've never heard of the widow's peak thing. That's hysterical!

mama bear said...

What a cute little Maren, and I love the picture of Derek and the girls. Your dad sounds like a great man.