We went to eat at a local pizza place the first week we moved here and as I was ordering, I asked for 3 regular pops. The lady just looked at me like I was crazy, and after repeating myself three times, I remembered, oops, they call it soda here. I was then pleasantly surprised to find myself at a soda dispenser that featured Fanta Birch Beer. If you've never had this Eastern delight, it's something like a milder version of root beer. It was then that I knew Toto and I were far from home, or at least the West. Damn Yankee that I am, I feel compelled to perform my own survey and find out what you call your pop/soda/Coke. Would you believe that grant money has actually been spent studying this gripping cultural phenomenon?
PS The above picture was taken at one of the many Kum & Go gas station in Iowa/Ohio/Penn... Speaking of words, they should really consider a new name. Kum? & Go? Pardon my dirty mind, but it sounds like an In'n'Out style brothel.
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
How do you drink your carbonated beveraged?
Posted by Maren Hansen at 7:54 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I grew up in the "pop" land of the West, but turned soooo "soda" after meeting Kyle. Now I can't switch back, even though everyone around me is calling it "pop." I envy your Eastern living sometimes!
Jacob has shamed me so many times that I mostly call it soda now. Even though he grew up in the west.
I grew up calling it "pop" and refused to say "Coke" during the ten years I lived in the South, but then I started calling it "Coke" out of nostalgia for the South after we moved to "soda" land. Plus I just really like Diet Coke.
Post a Comment