Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Death to all Mosquitoes

What would you do if you were terribly allergic to mosquito saliva? What if it was so bad that even when you were in labor, you were still suffering more from the two mosquito bites on your left toes than from the contractions? Well, you would be like me and would take all possible counter-measures and damn the collateral damages. This includes spraying your house, inside and out, with poisons that will probably stunt your kids' growth and give you early-onset Alzheimer's. Oh, and don't forget the lawn treatment. And then there is the Deet (a.k.a., liquid lymphoma) that you apply directly to said-children's skin. Too bad I'm allergic to the Deet and most fragrances/dyes they use to cover up it's hideous smell. So how to protect the precious epidermis from the raging Asian Tiger mosquitoes here on the East Coast? I'll tell you how: wearable mosquito-netting. Yes, folks, some brilliant backpackin' granola eater finally got smart and got a needle and came up with this beauty.
Not only can you get the pants and the jacket (complete w/hood and face mask), but you can also protect the tootsies and the paws.
I gave my set of "mosquito clothes" as the girls call them a run for their money today. No bites, but then it could be that there weren't any skeeters around at the time anyway. (Judging by the skeeter-bite thermometer=Mini-Me.) Regardless, I was quite pleased with the lightness and way they didn't restrict my movement. I can see me using them frequently this summer to do yard work, gardening, and hiking in the woods. Hopefully it doesn't come down to me having to actually run in them, though, because they do tend to increase the internal temperature (and not just of my husband). I look like a hottie when I wear them, and I feel like a hottie. But it's worth it's weight in sweat if it keeps me from staining the sheets with my own blood from the endless, unconscious nocturnal scratching I endured last August... And I don't want to hear anything at all about mosquitoes being an important part of the food web--they are evil and should all be sprayed.

10 comments:

amydear said...

Wow! I'm so sorry you're so allergic. When do we get to see a picture of you in your body netting? It might be kind of seductive with not much on underneath. : ) How's the running going, anyway? Doing any races?

Cheri said...

Oh man. What a pain! I did get a good laugh out of the guy's pose next to the tree.

Maren Hansen said...

Ya, there's something really wrong about a guy doing the GQ look in the mosquito netting...

JandS Morgan said...

Boy could I have used this during field camp. I do have a netted hat. Some people wore long sleeves shirts and pants in the 90 degree heat just protect themselves from the biting gnats.

Jocelyn said...

I didn't know that you were allergic to mosquito bites too. Chris and I are.

Tim and Angie said...

He he he, I can picture you in this beautiful outfit. That's tough to be allergic. Summer should be a time of frolicing, without netting. I think you need to take a pic of you in the spiffy outfit and post it. I hope it works for you.

Lynn said...

I've never seen anything like that. I may have to invest in one of those!!

I hope it works for you. So far, I haven't seen many (I saw one the other day that I took care of), but I'm sure it's only the beginning. I guess my bug spray days are back (if I could only find something strong enough)!

Annie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Annie said...

That was seriously awesome! I loved reading every word. You are a true gem and now that you are mosquito free, my idol!
I'm so mad I gave my skeeter suit up as a gag gift.

Adia said...

I don't care because I never got a misketo bit.