Friday, May 2, 2008

Kuhli Loaches

I promise, this is my last post for today (sad, I know, three in one day). But I just had to tell you how much I love my two little fishies, Oscars (we can't tell them apart, so they are both Oscar). They a kind of loach called a Kuhli (alternatively, Coolie) Loach. I just love them because, yes, they have little whiskers like a cat (yep, the girls get their cat-loving from me). They also have some quirky personalities. I often find them in the evenings and night decorating the tank plants like so much tinsel, or with half of them sticking out of the rocks like a flag. Some people may find they creepy because they are long and have snake-like bodies, but you just have to look at their cute faces to see they are no snake. Besides, they are bottom-feeders and are good at cleaning up the bits of food the tetras drop... :)

3 comments:

Derek said...

If you think they are too laid back, just turn the fishtank light on after it's been dark for a while and you'll see some action. Apparently their eyes must not like the dramatic change.

JandS Morgan said...

I did love our coolie loaches we had forever ago. I've never minded snake type things.

Maren Hansen said...

I think that's where my love of them came from too: Dad's fish tanks. I also liked the guarmi and am thinking of getting one to keep the algae down in my tank.